Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Why do we wear shoes?

How would you answer?

Kaia had a speech evaluation last Thursday at the recommendation of our developmental pediatrician. Having failed to even speak to a breathing human at Children's Hospital, (not a knock on them, I know they are busy), I got an appt. with a local speech pathologist.

When we got in there, the Dr. explained what tests he'd be giving Kaia then directed me to a room with a two-way mirror so I could watch the tests as he administered them. Usually, people want videos of their children's birthdays or Christmas. I would have killed to have video taped her evaluation, it was quite entertaining.

At first, he opened up a flip book and asked her to identify shapes and colors and other stuff. She breezed through that, so he stopped and asked her some questions.

My favorite was this:

"Kaia, why do we wear shoes?"

She put her index finger to her lips and looked upward. "I know! So earwigs won't bite our feet!"

The doctor, who I'm sure has been doing this a while, has probably NEVER heard that response and it was all I could do to keep from falling on the floor and cracking up. "Um, ok, Kaia, I'll ask again. Why do we wear shoes?"

Again, finger goes to lips, a thoughtful "hmm" comes out of her and then, "Oh, I know. So centipedes won't bite our feet. And even scorpions."

So now you know why we wear shoes.

1 comment:

Nancy Chase said...

Good answers! Kid's got her priorities straight. :-)

And, given her intense interest in bugs, is most likely going to grow up to be an entomologist!